Time flies!

Melaina's watch

The watch we gave our daughter for Christmas!

I recently read an interesting quotation by inspirational speaker, Michael Altshuler.

The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.

It seemed fitting for this time of year.

Every pilot needs two things, a destination and a flight plan. According to a 2007 study conducted by author and psychologist, Richard Wiseman, only 12% of the participants successfully kept their New Year’s resolutions and achieved their goals! The other 88% knew where they wanted to go but they didn’t get there. Perhaps they didn’t have a flight plan.

Did you make any New Year’s resolutions this year?

Whether your destination is a cleaner house, a lower number on the bathroom scale, a college degree or a new job, you need a plan.

Wiseman suggests six ways to actually keep your New Year’s resolutions:

  • Be specific. Make sure your resolution has a tangible, achievable outcome.
  • Write it down. Outline the small manageable steps you’ll need to take to achieve your goal.
  • Make time. Establish a realistic schedule for accomplishing your goal.
  • Move past doubt. Don’t listen to negative self-talk.
  • Find a supportive partner, someone who will keep you accountable.
  • Be still. Spend time every day doing something to relax and let go of stress.

Sounds like an excellent flight plan to me!

I don’t make New Year’s resolutions but we definitely have a destination this year! China, our next big adventure!

The flight plan is a work in progress. Right now we’re working our way through a lot of little steps while we wait for the documents that we need to apply for our visas to arrive. This morning, I made numerous calls figuring out how to suspend telephone, internet and cable TV service while we’re away and notifying our credit card companies that we’ll be out of the country. Next week we have appointments to make sure our immunizations are up-to-date and will have photos taken for the visa applications.

I’m sure the next few weeks will fly by but step-by-step, we’re getting closer to our destination!

Advertisements

6 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. gracefully50
    Jan 04, 2013 @ 20:08:41

    How exciting! I hope you’ll give us glimpse of your travels!

    Reply

    • edebock
      Jan 04, 2013 @ 21:43:43

      I certainly hope I can. The Chinese government blocks many websites including some WordPress blogs but I’ve been exploring ways to get around that if need be.

      Reply

  2. Kaya
    Jan 05, 2013 @ 18:58:38

    That is an excellent post! And it came in the right time for me. I especially liked the small manageable steps and a realistic schedule. And of course taking time for relaxation.

    The watch you gave to your daughter for Christmas is wonderful and very unique.

    Have a great adventure in China!

    Reply

  3. Elisa Nuckle
    Jan 06, 2013 @ 10:12:44

    China sounds interesting! Definitely post pictures. 😀

    Also I love that watch, haha. Totally random but yeah.

    Reply

    • edebock
      Jan 06, 2013 @ 13:55:13

      My daughter fell in love with the watch back in September when we were shopping together but didn’t feel that she could afford it. Needless to say, she was delighted to find it in her Christmas gift!

      Reply

I'd love to know that you were here! Please leave a comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: